Monday, July 27, 2009

Revlon False Fingernails

Photobucket
I actually don't like having long nails at all. I feel like they just get in my way and they drive me crazy. I got myself a nice French manicure for my wedding six years ago, and before the end of our honeymoon, I had pried most of them off and then went to a nail salon for them to remove the rest.

In the interest of full disclosure, these were sent to us by a Revlon representative who asked us to try them. I said I would, as long as it was understood my review would be completely honest and true. With that in mind, Missy and I attempted one night to apply them. We failed miserably, more of our own fault than anything, and neither one of us got more than two on before we were soaking our hands in acetone to get them off. But one of the packages of these Revlon nails that were sent to me were this rockin' set called "Crocodile." They were red, and the print on them looked more like spider webs than crocodile. I told Missy, "I am SO going to rock these bad boys." I was determined. One night, the kids were in bed, my husband was working, and I took the opportunity to apply them. I had good hopes, thinking since I had the time, I could do it correctly. They really are technically quite easy to apply. The glue is very strong, easy to squeeze out, and trust me - those nails aren't going anywhere. My problem was that I am so very, very clumsy. SO VERY CLUMSY. I kept gluing the backs of my fingers to the nails - and that just hurt. Then if I did apply it without binding my fingers - the nail would be crooked. I spent a considerable amount of time soaking my hands in acetone trying to remove two crooked ones, tried again, decided I couldn't do it, forget it! By this time my husband had come home, and I then ended up having to send him to the store for more acetone-based nail polish remover and made him promise to stay up with me while I soaked and removed them. I started this whole process at around 8:30 pm, and my husband and I were finally able to turn in close to 2:00 am. My fingers were completely pickled at the end. They were wrinkled and puffy - and no matter how many times I washed them, they still smelled like acetone. The next morning, I was making breakfast and licked something off of my finger - and tasted nothing but acetone. It was just swell. It took at leaset 24 hours before the acetone pickling subsided.

For a better, more in-length review (someone who actually WORE them longer than I did) visit Makeup on the Cheap. (You'll also find some actual pictures of the products. Sorry - Missy and I haven't been able to get together for a photo session other than the above picture.) I also read on another review site that if you apply the glue with a Q-tip, you'll have much better results. All this being said - I think this product is a wonderful substitute for paying full price at salons. Really - the glue is very strong (apparently) and they look very pretty. I am just the wrong person to wear them. So, if you aren't clumsy, and you're on a manicure budget, I have some for some of you! Actually, a lot. The list of styles I have is as follows, along with the number I have of each to be won. If you'd like to try them, please leave a comment and let us know which ones you are interested in. We'd love for you to try them, and submit a review to be featured on our site.

Revlon Runway Collection - Stella (3 to be won)
Revlon Runway Collection - Sateen (2 to be won)
Revlon Naturally Chic - Sophie (2 to be won)
Revlon Perfect Pedicure - Yes, they do toenails, too. (2 to be won)

And one each of the following:
Revlon Runway Collection: Sequins
Revlon Runway Collection: Starlet
Revlon Runway Collection: Mystic
Revlon Runway Collection: Minx
Revlon Runway Collection: Studio.

So that's a total of 14 winners! I'll be out of commission next week, so I'm going to give you all a good, long entry period. Starting NOW enter your comment, through Friday, August 6th. We'll announce the winner on Monday the 10th. If you're DYING for a picture of a particular product, shoot us an e-mail, and I'll get a lovely, completely UNprofessional picture to you. Good luck!

12 comments:

Damaris July 28, 2009 at 10:44 PM  

oooh! sign me up please :0)

Nina July 29, 2009 at 1:03 AM  

Is this open to international readers? If so, then please do count me in! :)

Carly July 29, 2009 at 11:26 AM  

I'd love to try a pair of the natural french manicure ones. I've used these kinds (but a different brand) in the past and have been pleased with the results. If you want them to stay on longer it's good to lightly buff your nail so the glue grips better (sometimes I only want them on for a day or so, like for weddings, so I will skip this step). It's true you do need a steady hand or a friend to help sometimes, but I haven't had too many problems getting them to look natural and professional! Thanks for sharing the love!

carlyw24 at gmail dot com

Kitkat July 29, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

Hey, it's Katie!! I love y'alls blog! Sign me up!!

Shellie July 30, 2009 at 12:49 PM  

Sign me up too! I think any of them sound great...especially the Pedicure ones! Can I just say how awesome you two are!

Alisha,  July 31, 2009 at 3:44 PM  

may I please sign up?

Olivia July 31, 2009 at 9:49 PM  

count me in on this one!

pareynolds26 August 2, 2009 at 3:29 AM  

I would like to try have my son'd weddding coming up in 2 months

Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer August 3, 2009 at 1:53 PM  

I've actually been wanting to try some of these, but never wanted to waste the money because I just wasn't sure how they'd turn out. I'd love to try a pair of the french manicure ones, if I'm picked. :) I'd be happy to write a review.

Andrea August 5, 2009 at 3:16 PM  

I actually like having nails, but just can't spend the money to do it. This would be fun to try!

About Us

Welcome to Primp and Tell! We're a bunch of frugal fashionistas who love make-up, anything to do with fashion, and especially a great deal. Join us as we review our latest finds, giving you our honest-to-goodness opinions. If you are interested in advertising please send us an email. Thanks for stopping by and don't forget to subscribe!

Unless otherwise noted, all images are © Missy Saunders Photography. Any use of our images without express written permission is strictly forbidden.

Blog Archive

Recent Posts

Add to Technorati Favorites