Friday, March 6, 2009

You Ask, We Tell Vol. 2

Julie asks: Do you prefer a pencil eyeliner or a liquid one? Do you stick with black and brown eyeliners or do you ever go for a color? Any application tips?
Kelli tells: My answer is a mixed one of personal opinions and some advice from professionals. I like the way liquid eyeliner looks, but it's way too easy to mess up, and hard to fix. Whereas a pencil, if you mess up, you can just smudge it for a kind of smoky look and you are good to go. There are actually a lot of new powder eyeliners on the market now, my newest find being L'oreal Bare Naturale Gentle Mineral Eyeliner. Stored separately in the cap is an amazing brush. It's very thin and a little stiff and it draws a perfect, liquid-like line. I would buy it for the brush alone. It has great colors that aren't too crazy, like navy, bronze, and olive. That being said, ahem, I LOOOOVE to use bright, unbsubtle colors. When I use a bold liner, sometimes I don't put anything else on. I think that looks quite pretty. Or sometimes I'll use a complementary color, like say navy blue liner with a lighter blue. But also sometimes I'll do fun combos. I've done navy liner and shimmery gold shadow. For those last two options, the shadow has to be subtle though, and just on the lid, not up to the brow bone. But that's not for everyone. It just depends on your taste. I know Missy likes to be more understated, whereas I'll go all out!

Bobbi Brown recommends the following colors for blue eyes: ash, taupe, gray, heather, slate, and lilac. Now here's where I give my two cents, just in case you are wanting extra color. With your red hair, I personally believe you can get away with greens or even teal, but I'd really have to see it on you. Revlon ColorStay has the perfect navy color, it lasts all day, and I think it would look great with blue eyes. The original thinking with makeup was that you should never use the same color as your eyes, but use colors that are the opposite. But more recently, that's getting debunked and some makeup artists even recommend matching, or complementing your eye color. Honestly, it all just depends on self-expression and taste.

As far as application is concerned, for making a smooth line along the upper lashes, Laura Mercier recommends you start at the outer corner and draw a series of dashes with an eye pencil as close to the lashes as possible. Then connect the dots. She said it's the best trick she ever learned.

Vanessa asks: Do they make [Maybelline ShinyLicious Lip Gloss] in any other colors? Is this the best color you saw for red heads?
Missy tells: One thing I've heard people complain about with this gloss is that it doesn't have a lot of pigment in it. This is true of this color, too, but it has a silvery bronze sheen to it, which makes it a more understated but super shiny coat. The lack of pigment would almost mean that any color of this lip gloss would work with most skin tones, and you can change it to your liking with an under layer of lipstick or stain.

That being said, there are a lot of different colors, a couple of which I want to try: Raiz'n Razzle and Sugar Plum. Both are on the neutral side and would be perfect for redheads. But I'm chicken when it comes to doing something daring with my lips, so I'd say try any color you really love and see if it works for you. Lolli Pink has me intrigued for something more springy. :) I may even pick up a new shade today and let you know!

Anonymous asks: I have been struggling with some really crappy skin lately. I have combination skin. Oily and dry. But lately, I have had ridiculous breakouts and ridiculous dry patches to the point where my skin is flaking. You can SEE it. Like I got sunburned or something (which I didn't) and now it's starting to flake. Suggestions? It's so embarrassing! I swear by my Mary Kay products and hesitate to use anything else because my skin is so sensitive. Not sure what to do though. HELP fashionistas!
Missy tells: The first thing I would ask is if you have introduced anything new into your skin care line? Or even a new soap or detergent? If so, stop using anything new immediately and see if there is any improvement in your skin. Sometimes stress or other hormonal problems can cause your skin to go berserk so oftentimes you just have to ride out the storm, so to speak. If your skin gets worse, and nothing you are doing to improve it makes it any better, I would recommend going to go see a dermatologist. Over-the-counter skin care products and cosmetics aren't always the answer to having healthy skin, sometimes seeing a professional is necessary! I noticed that Boots at Target has a new Sensitive skin care line and it looks like that might be an option for you, too, to get your skin really clean and free of any chemicals that might be reacting badly to your skin. Best of luck to you!

Kelli tells: I have heard more people recommend Cetaphil than I ever have anything else. Their regular cleanser is very gentle, and they also have one for sensitive skin. Anytime I have been to the dermatologist, they practically demand I use the whole line! They have great, gentle moisturizers that are also very well-reviewed. It doesn't work for my skin, because I tend to be pretty oily, but it sounds like just the thing for the dry patches you describe. Sometimes people over-treat breakouts, causing more dryness, leading your skin to produce more excess oil - leading to more breakouts. I don't know if this is the case, but if the recommendations we have given don't work, I would definitely say go to the dermatologist. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Shannon asks: OK, now that I know how to exfoliate, what balms do you use that WORK? I have the DRIEST lips ever, and I am constantly peeling them, so that it DOES look like I am an extra in Fight Club! I use Burt's Bees right now, but they are still SO dry!
Kelli tells: Burt's Bees totally dries my lips out. I don't know if it does for everyone, but there you go. Missy is going to be checking several lip balms sometime soon and post the best of the lot. In the meantime, a friend of mine e-mailed us with this tip, which I'm going to start trying tonight; since I'm currently breastfeeding, I just happen to have some of this product in the house:
Amber tells: "After I had my first child (almost 3 years ago) I read on the Lansinoh pure lanolin packaging (normally used for dry, cracked nipples) that it was also good for diaper rash and - wait for it - moisturizing your lips. Ever since my husband and I use it like chapstick and we LOVE IT! So, have you ever heard of this or tried this yourself? If not, I dare you to try it. I put it on at night and in the morning my lips are full and soft as a babies...well you know :)
Seriously it's one of those things that I randomly bring up if someone has chapped lips because it works that well and it last FOREVER. Just the tiniest bit (less than that even) is all you need.
So try it, I dare you! You will never go back to chapstick if you do. I often put it on just after applying lipstick too, it acts much like a lip gloss. You find it in the baby bottle isle with the nursing pads (purple packaging)."

0 comments:

About Us

Welcome to Primp and Tell! We're a bunch of frugal fashionistas who love make-up, anything to do with fashion, and especially a great deal. Join us as we review our latest finds, giving you our honest-to-goodness opinions. If you are interested in advertising please send us an email. Thanks for stopping by and don't forget to subscribe!

Unless otherwise noted, all images are © Missy Saunders Photography. Any use of our images without express written permission is strictly forbidden.

Blog Archive

Recent Posts

Add to Technorati Favorites